Although you are not required to have a lawyer when applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, your chances of being approved increase dramatically when you have appropriate legal representation. Since there is no upfront cost for hiring a lawyer and fees are strictly regulated by the Social Security Administration (SSA), obtaining representation is the best way to help your case.
What Does a Social Security Disability Lawyer Do?
Some of the tasks your Social Security disability lawyer may perform include:
- Complete an initial review of your case to determine if you might qualify for SSDI benefits
- Offer advice on the alleged onset date of your disability
- See if you might qualify for programs that can get your application processed more quickly
- Determine if your disability matches one of the impairments listed in the Social Security blue book
- Make sure your application is complete
- Collect and sort the medical evidence that documents the severity of your condition and how it affects your ability to continue working, including supportive statements on your functional limitations
- Determine how to handle any evidence that could hurt your case
- Communicate with the SSA on your behalf while your application is pending
- File any appeals that are necessary
- Represent you and your interests during any appeal hearings
- Prepare you for the judge’s questions during an appeal hearing
You can hire a lawyer at any stage in the process of applying for benefits. However, it’s typically in your best interest to seek representation as soon as possible. The appeals process can be lengthy, so it is financially beneficial to do whatever you can to increase the odds of getting your initial application approved.
Have You Or A Loved One Been Denied Social Security Disability Benefits?
If you or a loved on has been denied Social Security Disability Benefits you need to speak with an experienced SSD attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Virginia Beach office directly at 757.490.3500 to schedule your free consultation. We have offices throughout Virginia including Chesapeake, Newport News, Norfolk and Suffolk.